Olive Street Community Garden
The Olive Street Community Garden is located @ 38 Olive Street in Salem.
The Olive Street Community Garden was established in 2014 by the hard work of volunteers from the community and local churches and with funding available through partnership with Stand Up For Salem and its Neighborhood Revitalization Grant. Youth and adult volunteers met every Saturday morning from mid April through the summer with a vision to see God transform a vacant lot into a peaceful, beautiful place to be enjoyed by all passersby. In this space, new friendships have been formed and people have been inspired as we tended and harvested fresh produce, shared bouquets of zinnias, and tasted new foods. Throughout the summer new groups of children came to participate in the different stages of planting and harvesting. The Garden received a Blue Ribbon Award from the PHS Gardening and Greening Contest 2014.
- Engage Salem youth in meaningful activity
- Give youth an opportunity to learn a new skill
- Provide fresh food to the families of the youth who participate
- Create a wholesome context for mentoring relationships and discipleship
- Give youth the opportunity to run a stand at the Salem City market selling the produce they have helped grow
- Children’s Garden Club
- Community Gardening open to all neighbors of Olive Street and surrounding areas in Salem City
- Lighthouse Summer Youth Leadership Program